About Variable Rate Seeding
AgStudio offers several workflows to facilitate creating variable rate seeding (VRS) recommendations. These include single-variety, multi-variety, and adjusting a VRS recommendation for irrigation.
- For creating single-variety VRS recommendations, the prerequisite is that your database contains Seed products (added through the Seed Editor on the Setup Menu. See the Help in the Seed Editor within AgStudio for details.)
- The prerequisites for creating multi-variety VRS recommendations are:
- See the Help in both the Commodity Editor and Crop Editor in AgStudio for details.
- The selected Crop Zone must have a commodity.
- The Crop involved in the recommendation must have seed/acre or lbs/acre as the unit of measure
- The prerequisites for adjusting a VRS recommendation for Irrigation are:
- Your database must contain Seed products (use the Seed Editor)
- A placed variety (use the Place a Variety or Advanced Variety Placer)
- A planned planting operation, which may or may not contain a seed rate recommendation. You can create a VRS Recommendation from a Management Zone, Soil Types, or Crop Zone boundaries. If no VRS Recommendation currently exists for a crop zone that contains a placed product, the extension automatically creates a VRS Recommendation layer.
- A pivot (use the Center Pivot Irrigation); fields without pivots are processed as dryland areas.
Variable Rate Seeding
The Basic Approach discussed a simple way to place seed varieties, create VRS recommendations from a Management Zone, Soil Types layer, or a Crop Zone boundary. Once completed you can export these recommendations to a monitor.
Multi-Variety Variable Rate Seeding
You can create multi-variety VRS recommendations to take advantage of the appropriate seed traits by planting the best variety in various areas of the field. The decision of which varieties are best for certain areas of the field are often based on a management zone and customer knowledge of the field.
For multi-variety VRS recommendations, you will need to create a management zone, place several seed varieties, create the recommendation, and then export it.
Adjusting VRS for Irrigation
Creating irrigation-based seeding recommendations gives you the opportunity to specify dryland and/or irrigated seeding rates in the recommendations operations that you can take to the field for planting.
There are two ways to produce a variable rate seeding recommendation based on irrigation. One, you create a script using the Advanced Seed Rate Recommendations extension using a calculator that contains variables for both irrigated and dryland. Second, the Adjust VRS Rate by Irrigation is a basic tool to create a seeding rate recommendation based on irrigation status: one rate under the pivot and/or one rate in the dryland. This can be done against an existing seed rate recommendation or a planned planting operation containing only a placed variety.
After you adjust a VRS Recommendation by Irrigation, you can also use the VRS Editor to edit the recommendation if needed, and the VRS Export to export the recommendation into device-specific formats.
How do I place an individual seed variety?
How do I place seed varieties in batch mode?
How do I build a seed rate recommendation script?
How do I run a seed rate recommendation script?
How do I create a Management Zone?
How do I create a VRS recommendation from a Management Zone?
How do I adjust a VRS recommendation for irrigation?
How do I export a VRS recommendation?